Made you look! 😊
It’s really a Mock Apple Strudel…
Quick. Simple. Vegan.
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried organic lavender buds (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or margarine
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla or rose extract
- 1 large, peeled, and finely chopped apple
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. melted margarine
1/4 cup apricot or strawberry jam or lavender/rose jelly (don’t use water if using jelly); 1 tsp. hot water
1 cup icing sugar; 1 to 2 Tbsp. warm water
- Measure and mix first five ingredients (including optional lavender).
- Cut in the shortening or margarine until it is in small pieces. Add liquid to make soft dough. (You may add an extra 1 – 3 Tbsp. almond milk if dough is initially too dry.)
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently for 30 seconds, tops. Too much kneading can make dough tough.
- Roll dough out to 1/3″ thick.
- Brush with melted margarine.
- Cover with finely chopped apple.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion and either keep as a log, or place into a semi-circle on a greased or parchment covered baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Make jam or jelly glaze, and brush over the strudel immediately upon coming out of the oven.
Make icing. While warm, drizzle icing all over strudel, and garnish with an optional tablespoon of sprinkled chopped/sliced almonds.