My unique and quick vegan dessert (or breakfast) to celebrate St. Barbara’s Day.
Serve as, is or with a scoop of frozen fruit sorbet on the side. Leftovers make great snacks!
- Cream of Wheat (ready in 3 minutes)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- *Optional* 2 Tbsp. Strega Liqueur (Has 70 herbal ingredients, and the yellow colour is from saffron)
Measure 3/4 cups dried cream of wheat, 4 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Cook the Cream of Wheat according to the box’s directions, bringing water to a boil first, and then slowly add Cream of Wheat granules and stirring continually for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Leave uncovered, and let rest for 5 minutes.
Add the sugar, fruit, vanilla extract, ground spices and Strega liqueur Stir well to combine. Pour into a large bowl. Serve hot or cold.
Decorate the top as you wish. (Optional Ideas: 1 Tbsp. grated orange/lemon zest, OR sprinkle 1 Tbsp. chopped pecans; OR with 4 whole almonds to make a Cross)