Image by RitaE
While visiting a convent many years ago, fellow pilgrim and family friend Angie, made these for the nuns’ breakfast. Depending on numbers, recipe easily doubles/triples/quadruples well.
2 cups white flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. melted butter (cooled)
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients, and make a well in centre of bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well of dry bowl.
- Slowly fold mixture together, ONLY until it is just mixed. Do not overstir.
- With a tiny bit of butter, or non-stick oil spray, coat frying pan and then wipe clean.
- Cook over med/high heat, adjusting if necessary and wiping with more butter/spray between pancakes if needed. Don’t burn the butter.
- When the surface of the pancake starts to bubble, flip and cook for another minute or so.
Top with your choice of fresh berries, fruit slices, preserves, or syrup. A “dusting” of icing sugar fancies up the whole thing. Garnish with fresh mint.